Monday, August 06, 2007

Must...Resist...

For the past two weeks, I've successfully manage to avoid about 20 million calories in the form of miniature candy bars sitting in a jar just a short walk away from my desk. Each time the container gets blissfully close to empty, some well meaning person refills it. It's been hard, and despite the suggestions that I could "eat just one," I've avoided them altogether because, well...I know myself. I know that "just one" will not happen. "Just 51," maybe, which is (obviously) not what I'm looking for.
This morning, temptation has been knocking me around a little harder. I think it's because I actually got my lazy ass out of bed this morning and exercised. 20 minutes of pilates can work up an appetite.
I walked into the break room to find a container boasting raspberry jelly filled doughnut holes. I spent most of the morning trying to talk myself into believing that it's a "special occasion," and I really could indulge in just one. I resisted.
I went downstairs and found a dish filled with Dove chocolates. I actually took one before I even realized what I'd done and forced myself to put it back. On the way out the door, I looked longingly at the dish, but still, I resisted.
Back to the break room to heat up my healthy lunch of Italian chicken with green beans. There are the doughnut holes again. Damn.

Before anyone pipes up saying that I should indulge at times and not deprive myself of things I want because it makes it worse...I spent most of the weekend at a friend's house, not depriving myself of anything. The booze, pizza, chili-cheese dip, peanut butter M&M's, and licorice were flowing quite freely, and I took it as "a special occasion" since I was doing something I don't normally do. Now is the time to get back on track. I'll be fine. I know I will be.

...but to any of my co-workers who might happen to be reading this: If someone doesn't eat that last freaking doughnut hole, I might just flip out.

No comments: