Sunday, January 04, 2009

Love what you Do. Do what you Love.

Last year, I spent some time searching for a publishing house where I could submit the romance novel I slaved over for two years.

(To answer the questions I know will come, my book was rejected for reasons of content. The story is good, and I will resubmit and resubmit and resubmit until I'm published.)

While paging through page after page of submission guidelines, a link on one page caught my eye. Employment.

I clicked on it.

There were job listings for readers...they paid in trinkets and gratitude but I thought it would be perfect for me. I love to read...and would love the opportunity to read never-before-seen material. As I scrolled down the page, I discovered another job listing for editors. Are you called the “comma queen” by your critique partners? Do people line up to have you do a critique because they know they will get something solid in return? It was as if the ad was written just for me. I followed the link and emailed the editor-in-chief to introduce and brag about myself.

We emailed back and forth and a few days later, she called me for a phone interview. I was up to my wrists in cheeseball when the phone rang and I quickly washed my hands and locked myself in my room to escape the calls of "Mommy, I'm hungry," and "She's touching my stuff!" for a while. The phone call went well and by the end of our conversation, she told me she would mail me a contract.

And I became an editor.

It's been the experience of a lifetime and I feel blessed every day to have been given this opportunity. The pay is minimal. At times, it's thankless. But I love it.

I make my editorial debut in July with the release of Lara Stephens' Hit Reply, to be published by The Wild Rose Press.

I am loving what I do. And doing what I love.

No comments: